FORT PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) A pickup was heavily damaged this morning when it started on fire inside a Fort Pierre garage. Fort Pierre Fire Chief Rick Cronin says the fire was reported about 6:40 a.m. this morning at 2114 Tiree Drive. The vehicle was parked inside a detached garage at that residence. A block heater on the pickup had been plugged in and Cronin says it’s likely that a short or electrical issue in the system started the fire. Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly and kept the blaze mostly contained to the vehicle. Cronin says the pickup’s engine compartment was badly damaged and the garage sustained heat and smoke damage. He estimates damages at around $15,000 for the vehicle and garage. Firefighters remained at the scene for about an hour and ventilated the garage. No one was injured; however Cronin says the cold temperatures this morning caused equipment, bunker gear and the ground to ice up around the fire scene.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.