Eight more South Dakota properties– including the Haakon County Courthouse in Philip– have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1930, the Haakon County Courthouse is significant for its Art Deco architecture and as a representation of Haakon County’s political and governmental past.
The National Register is the official federal list of properties identified as important in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering and culture. Buildings, sites, structures and objects at least 50 years old possessing historical significance may qualify for the National Register. Properties must also maintain their historic location, design, materials and association.
In addition to the Haakon County Courthouse, new listings are the Chambers Dugout in the Belle Fourche vicinity, the Roosevelt School in Belle Fourche, the First Presbyterian Church of Groton, the Solomon and Martha Hann Homestead near Nemo, the Jackson Boulevard Historic District in Spearfish, the Perkins Congregational Church near Springfield and the Dickens Round Barn in the Worthing vicinity.
Photo credit: South Dakota Historical Society