Two Fires Burn in Area Wheat Fields Sunday



UNDATED – (DRG News) Two fires yesterday kept area crews busy. The Harrold Fire Department was summoned to a fire about ten miles south and six miles west of Harrold yesterday evening about 6:30 p.m.-according to the department’s Treg Cowan. Cowan says the blaze was first reported as a combine fire, but instead, firefighters found it was a fire in a standing wheat field. Cowan says the wheat was being combined when the fire started. The fast moving fire resulted in lots of smoke and eight to ten foot flames. Cowan says its lucky the wind wasn’t blowing much at the time the blaze started. About 40 to 50 acres of wheat in a 160 acre field and 50 acres of a 160 acre CRP plot ended up being scorched in the fire. Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to a second nearby wheat field. There was no damage to the combine. Cowan says besides Harrold, crews from DeGrey, Blunt and the Pierre Rural Fire Departments responded to the scene. Also, Cowan says NCFE Custom Air brought a tanker of water to the fire site, which helped in fighting the blaze. Cowan asks combiners to be careful in the current dry conditions and if possible, to have a tanker of water close by where combining is being done.

Later Sunday night, about 8:50 p.m., another fire-reported as a combine and wheat field fire-was reported north of the Grey Goose Store in northwest Hughes County. Pierre Rural Fire Department Chief Jason Roggow says firefighters found the wheat field fire burning north of the store-about a half mile west of Grey Goose Road near 201st Street. The fire impacted both standing wheat and some wheat stubble. It also left some damage to the combine that was working in the field when the fire started-as Roggow says dust and material had collected in the back of the combine and had ignited. Its estimated that about two acres burned, but Roggow says the department will check out the scene later today and determine an exact amount of acreage impacted. Roggow says things are starting to dry up after plenty of precipitation this past spring-making grasses and other vegetation more vulnerable to fires. The Fort Pierre Fire Department helped at the site of the fire yesterday and crews had the blaze completely out by about 10:30 p.m. Sunday night.

Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by

Comments are closed.