PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) The Pierre School Board voted to reject two new bids for the purchase of McKinley Elementary School at yesterday’s monthly meeting. Last week, bids on the building of $226,500 from Delton and Lanny Blake and $260,000 from Mark Zarecky were opened. Monday the board unanimously rejected both bids. A year ago, the board rejected two previous bids for the building-which were $67,500 from Avera St. Mary’s and $101,100 from Jed Baumann, Joshua Lieberman and Richard Bauer. The district plans to close McKinley, along with Washington Elementary, once construction is complete on a new elementary being built in northeast Pierre. The Washington building has already been sold, but the new owners will not take over the building until the new elementary is done and the Washington School building is no longer needed.
Dr. Kelly Glodt, Superintendent for Pierre Public Schools, says he believes it will be some time before the board puts McKinley up for bid again. He won’t speculate how high the bids must go before the board gives the okay to sell the building.
Glodt says right now, the district still has some time before McKinley needs to be sold.
Glodt says he supports the board’s decision and stands by the choice to reject the bids. The district is not publicly releasing what the McKinley property appraised for. Pierre’s new elementary school should be complete and ready to serve students at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.