Police Chief Talks About Thursday’s Standoff in Pierre-Investigation Continues

Pierre Police Chief Bob Grandpre (Photo from Pierre PD Website)


PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) An investigation continues, led by federal and state authorities, following a standoff that occurred in a northern Pierre neighborhood Thursday.  Pierre Police Chief Bob Grandpre says a person who was being sought for questioning in a Wednesday chase with law enforcement, which resulted in one man being shot in a rural area near Fort Thompson, was located at a residence on North Highland Avenue Thursday afternoon.  A press release from the Pierre Police Department indicates the man, 27-year-old Jason Todd Garreau of Eagle Butte, had barricaded himself in the home.  At one point in the standoff, authorities say Garreau fired several shots at law enforcement and a Pierre Police Officer was hit-sustaining non-life threatening injuries.  Grandpre said this morning that the officer was taken by ambulance to the hospital and was released.  He won’t discuss the officer’s injuries at this time.  Garreau was taken into custody and arrested early this morning-shortly after midnight.  Grandpre isn’t providing any information at this time on how the standoff ended.  Garreau is being held at the Hughes County Jail on a federal detainer.  Charges are pending in the case.  Grandpre says now, Pierre Police are conducting an after action review-as state and federal authorities continue to look into the Pierre standoff Thursday and the previous day’s chase and shooting.

Grandpre says he appreciates the assistance of the public yesterday in staying away from the secured area surrounding the home where Garreau was holed up for about nine hours.

Some of the agencies that were involved in Garreau’s apprehension yesterday include the Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Marshal Service, Bureau of Indian Affairs, South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, South Dakota Highway Patrol, Pierre Police Department and the Hughes County Sheriff’s Department.   A spokesman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation says there is no new information to release on the incidents at this time.

(At the time we publicized this story, we neglected to mention that the Oahe Chapter of the American Red Cross provided a reception center for residents living around the standoff who were evacuated from the area.  The Red Cross organized the center at a nearby church and provided meals, coffee and a place where families could sleep until they were able to return home again.)

The public and media were kept a good distance from the standoff Thursday. It was located just outside camera range on the left side of this photo. Law enforcement vehicles from a number of agencies were found throughout the neighborhood surrounding the standoff. (KGFX Photo)

Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.

Leave a Comment