EAGLE BUTTE, S.D. – (DRG News) A woman was taken to the hospital yesterday after a house explosion that occurred in Eagle Butte. The afternoon explosion was reported about 1:20 p.m. Mountain Time in a northeast Eagle Butte housing area on Jefferson Street. Tony Kennedy, who is the Fire Management Officer for the BIA Fire Management Program in Eagle Butte lives about a quarter mile from the housing area and says he heard the boom and felt a shake when the home exploded. The impact was noted throughout the community and some reports are that it was felt from as far as three miles away. The Eagle Butte Volunteer Fire Department was called to the scene. BIA fire crews also responded to help with traffic control and protect other nearby structures at the scene. Kennedy says on arrival, they found the house totally destroyed, with parts of the structure discovered in nearby trees and other places. Kennedy says a woman was in the house when it blew up. She was taken to the hospital in Eagle Butte. The cause of the explosion is still to be determined but Kennedy says the woman in the home had stated that she had just turned on a propane stove before the home blew up. At least one of the homes near the explosion was left with blackened siding. Kennedy says he knows of no other injuries at this time. (Photos below courtesy of Tony Kennedy)
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.