Fort Pierre Fire Department Called to Home Fire Early This Morning

Fort Pierre Fire Department Logo

 

FORT PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) A fire at a Fort Pierre home this morning left damages of about $40,000.  Fort Pierre Fire Chief Rick Cronin says the fire was reported about 1:15 a.m. by the occupant of the small, single-family dwelling.  Cronin says the one story home is located at 112 East Sixth Avenue.  When firefighters arrived at the scene, Cronin says the home was very close to already being fully engulfed by flames.  He says smoke was visible and flames were coming from the back half of the house.  Firefighters were able to knock the blaze down quickly, but it left considerable fire, heat and smoke damage.  Department members used two thermal cameras to check and make sure all hot spots were out.  Cronin says it’s believed that the fire began in the rear part of the home, in a back bedroom and was likely started by a space heater.  Fortunately, Cronin says the occupant, who was awake when the fire started but was in another part of the home, was alerted to the flames by a smoke detector and was able to get out of the home safely.  The woman sought shelter for the rest of the night at the home of a family member.  Firefighters were at the scene of today’s house fire for about two hours.  There were no injuries in this morning’s fire and homes that were near the fire were not threatened.


Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.

Leave a Comment