Morning Fire Destroys Pierre Home

January 10, 2013 Trailer Fire (KGFX Photo)

 

PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) A trailer home in an east Pierre neighborhood was heavily damaged in a morning fire.  The Pierre Volunteer Fire Department was called to 139 Lakeview Court this morning about 8:55 a.m. to the report of a structure fire.  Chief Bill Alexander says smoke was showing from the rear of the single wide, older trailer home when firefighters arrived.  After fire crews entered the structure, Alexander says heavy smoke and fire began coming from it.  The fire apparently started in a back bedroom of the home.  The people who were in the home when the fire broke out were all able to escape safely and no one sustained fire injuries, however Alexander says one woman was going to be taken to a local clinic to be checked.  The fire was knocked down within about twenty minutes, but Alexander says crews worked for a time to remove household items, clothing and other possessions from the burned portion of the trailer to make sure the fire would not reignited.    Alexander believes the blaze was electrical in nature, but says he expects a report soon from one of the department’s members, who also serves as a Deputy Fire Marshal for the state.   The Oahe Chapter of the American Red Cross is providing temporary housing for the occupants of the home.  Alexander says some personal belongings are salvageable; however the trailer is totaled, with damages at upwards of $30,000.   Firefighters were at the site of the fire for about two and a half hours.


Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.

Leave a Comment




Multimedia