PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) South Dakotans who registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency last year for damage caused by the 2011 flood may be able to get additional assistance if they noted more damage since then. Residents of five counties-Hughes, Stanley, Charles Mix, Yankton and Union, were eligible to register last year for damage claims from the flood. People who registered with FEMA last year can now seek individual assistance if more flood-related damage has been found in the past year. Kristi Turman, Director of the Office of Emergency Management for South Dakota, says in a press release that many people didn’t have time to identify all damages before last year’s deadline of October 24. Those who registered last year may now be eligible for assistance for additional damage from the flood; however those who did not register before the deadline can no longer do so. Turman says eligible residents should file sooner-rather than later. The deadline to file claims for new damage is February 23, 2013. Turman says those who registered with FEMA last year should report if they have noted some structure shifting, basement cracking or other damage that could be flood related. More than 1,500 people registered with FEMA last fall. All of those registrants are eligible to file new claims if they have new damage. People should use their FEMA registration number from the 2011 filing to make the process go more quickly. For questions, contact FEMA at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362).
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.