FORT PIERRE, S.D. -(DRG News) Students at Stanley County’s elementary building in Fort Pierre were evacuated for a time this afternoon after a trouble alarm triggered a call to the Fort Pierre Fire Department. Superintendent Dr. Don Hotalling says the alarm activated about 12:25 p.m. in the building, which houses Junior Kindergarten through Second Grade. He says there was no fire, but an element in a water heater shorted out, got hot, and that kicked off the circuit breaker-and turned off some lights in the building. The approximately 110-115 Junior Kindergarten through Second Grade students were eating lunch at the time and evacuated the building. The problem was identified in a short time and students were allowed back in the building about ten minutes later. Hotalling says an electrician has checked the circuit breaker and plumbers have been called to check the malfunctioning water heater. Hotalling says the evacuation went well and says the students practice the process at least twice a semester-so they knew what to expect.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.