PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) Those planning a stop at the Oahe Family YMCA will want to know that parts of the building are now reopened, after Pierre Fire Crews were called there to the report of smoke coming from an electrical panel in the boiler room. Pierre Deputy Fire Chief Ian Pual says firefighters were summoned around 1:30 p.m. to the report of smoke in the boiler room in the lower level of the building. Paul says on arrival, crews found that small flames were coming from the electrical panel and the smoke continued to worsen. They kept the fire centralized in the area of the electric box with the use of an extinguisher. Power was shut down to the building, those at the Y were evacuated and a local electric company was called to the scene to restore power. Firefighters also ventilated the smoke from the building and were at the scene about an hour.
Jeff Filipek, Executive Director at the Y, says as of this point, the Aquatic Center, Lobby, Gym, Weight Room and Cardio areas of the building have all reopened. At last word, the Kids Center, Y Locker rooms and Racquetball Courts are expected to open later. Phone service has also been returned. Filipek says about 100 people that were in the building when the fire department was called were evacuated for a short time for precautionary reasons. He says electricians are checking the cause of the malfunction.
While firefighters were still at the Y, the department was told of a fire alarm sounding at an office building at 306 East Capitol, across from Georgia Morse Middle School. Patrick Snyder-1st Assistant Chief for the PFD, says someone had been fixing food in a microwave and it was overcooked. That filled the lower level, mostly the kitchen and eating areas, with smoke. Firefighters brought the microwave outside and used fans to clear the lower level of smoke. The department was at the building for more than thirty minutes.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.