Area Firefighters Stayed Busy on Monday

Firefighter in Front of Firetruck

 

UNDATED – (DRG News) Murdo firefighters spent more than an hour at a structure fire Monday evening. Murdo Fire Chief Rich Sylva says the fire at 103 Garfield was reported about 6:30 p.m. by a neighbor. No one was home at the time the fire broke out. He says it’s believed the blaze started in or near a compost pile, spread to debris in the yard and then to the rear of the structure. Sylva says the fire was confined to the exterior of the building. Firefighters were able to contain the fire within minutes and kept it from spreading to a nearby home. He says damage was limited to a few windows and the siding of the older home. Firefighters were at the scene for about an hour and a half.
In Sully County, Onida and Agar firefighters fought a wheat field fire that likely was started by a combine. Onida Fire Chief Brian Ring says the fire was called in to responders about 4:30 p.m. Monday and burned in western Sully County-northwest of Onida. He says the wheat field was being combined when the fire was sparked. It burned standing wheat, nearby pastures and into river breaks. Ring estimates about 100 acres of ground was burned in the blaze. He says area producers helped at the scene of the fire by bringing water trucks to replenish water supplies for the fire units. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in about three hours.
Earlier Monday afternoon in Pierre, firefighters were notified of a leaking propane tank at a Pierre residence. Deputy Chief Ian Paul says responders were summoned to the 600 block of South Jackson Avenue, were a propane relief valve had popped open as a result of the hot weather. He says a garden hose was used to spray the tank down and cool it off until a fire truck arrived. Paul says the tank valves are designed to relieve pressure when it gets too high. The department was at the residence for about 20 minutes.


Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.


Multimedia