UNDATED – (DRG News) Fire departments in Central South Dakota responded to two grass fires Sunday. One fire was reported just after two o’clock and was located just off Grey Goose Road-north of Oahe Acres. Sean Kruger with the Pierre Rural Fire Department says the grass fire started when a pheasant got caught in a transformer on an electric pole; which caused sparks and started nearby grass on fire. The blaze burned a few acres of grass and no structures were threatened. Kruger says firefighters were at the scene of the grass fire for about an hour.
Meanwhile Blunt firefighters were told about a grass fire about 1:50 p.m. yesterday. The fire was burning on private property south of the Dakota Lakes Research Farm. Blunt Fire Chief Jan Harkless says the blaze burned about 12 acres of grass before it could be stopped. It also burned to within 100 feet of a house. It’s believed it started with a spark from an irrigation pump. Harkless says the grass is dry and some flames reached four feet tall at times. Firefighters left the scene about 3:30 p.m., but were called back by a resident living near the fire who continued to note smoldering spots. Firefighters spent another two hours at the site of the fire, doing mop up to make sure the fire would not re-ignite. Besides Blunt, other departments that helped at the fire near east Highway 34 were DeGray and Harrold.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.