Fire Causes Damage at Pierre Home Early This Morning

Fireman's Helmet

 

PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) A fire at a Pierre home early today resulted in injuries to one person and left as much as $20,000 damage to the structure. The blaze-at 225 South Adams Avenue-was first noted about 3:40 a.m., according to Pierre Fire Chief Bill Alexander. He says firefighters were initially contacted to investigate heavy smoke in the area near Adams and Wells Avenues.

Alexander says when firefighters determined the home was the source of the smoke; they were able to see the glow of a fire from a window. The flames were mostly contained to one room and he says the fire department was able to quickly put out the blaze.

The lone occupant of the house was injured as he attempted to get out of the structure-according to Alexander.

The man was taken to St. Mary’s Healthcare Center to be treated. Two cats that were in the house were found deceased in the living room. Alexander says the small home sustained fire damage in one room and smoke and heat damage throughout.

The Oahe Chapter of the American Red Cross is working with the occupant of the home to offer assistance. Alexander says an investigation into the blaze is complete. He says the fire is unintentional in nature and is considered accidental. Alexander says firefighters could not come up with definitive cause for the blaze. The fire did not threaten any other nearby structures. Fire crews were at the scene of the fire until just after six this morning.


Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.

Leave a Comment



Multimedia