PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) Governor Dennis Daugaard says he hopes that officials in Washington give the okay for the disputed Keystone XL pipeline, following the Canadian company’s move Friday to file a new application for the project. TransCanada submitted another application for federal approval of the project last week after the company changed the route of the pipeline around groundwater supplies in Nebraska. President Barack Obama had blocked the project on January 18. Following Friday’s news from TransCanada, Daugaard said he hopes the new route for the pipeline is approved-now that an alternative route has been determined.
TransCanada in a press release says it is committed to building the XL pipeline and says the project would create thousands of needed construction and manufacturing jobs and allow Americans to move closer toward achieving energy security. The project would carry oil from western Canada along with crude oil from the Bakken supply basin in Montana and North Dakota through upper Midwest states to Nebraska-where it would link with other pipelines to take the oil to refineries on the Texas Gulf Coast. Senator John Thune Friday called on Obama to end the obstruction of the pipeline. He said South Dakota’s economy would benefit from the pipeline; and that the project would produce increased personal income of $319 million dollars and create hundreds of construction jobs in the state.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.