PIERRE, S.D. – (DRG News) The Stanley County States Attorney says an investigation continues into a Sunday incident in which a Fort Pierre man allegedly discharged a gun in town after an argument and was arrested. 39-year-old Ronald Berens, Jr. is being held on $100,000 cash for Attempted First Degree Murder, Aggravated Assault, Discharge of a Firearm at an Occupied Structure, Commission of a Felony While Armed with a Firearm and Reckless Discharge of a Firearm. Authorities arrested him after they say he shot a rifle three times-once inside an apartment and twice outside-after an argument with a woman. States Attorney Tom P. Maher says officials continue to talk to witnesses in the case.
Maher says the woman scuffled with Berens after she heard a gun being loaded in another room. She then fled outside and reportedly sought safety underneath a vehicle.
The incident took place at an apartment building near the Stanley County Fairgrounds, which had been busy that day with horse races at the track and other activities at the Expo Center. Maher says luckily, a deputy was at the fairgrounds when the shooting was reported about 5:30 p.m., which made for a quick response.
Maher requested that bond be set at $100,000 cash and Judge Leo Disburg agreed. Maher says he thinks the amount is fair.
Berens is set to make his next court appearance in the case on May 8 at 10:00 a.m.
Comment Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the comments section of DakotaRadioGroup.com are solely those of the comment author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions held by DakotaRadioGroup.com.